SHOTOKAN KARATE

Speed Training

Speed training is essential to effective self defense. "The ultimate goal of the warrior is to learn to end the fight with a single blow" this was stated by Miyamoto Musashi in his famous text "A Book of Five Rings. So how does the martial artist attain their own level of maximum speed for quick strikes and devastating kicks? Lets explore.
'
1. repetition

2. proper technique

3. visualization

4. explosive conditioning

5. natural reaction


Repetition: No speed training method can be effective without repetition training, practicing your techniques over and over until they become ingrained in your consciousness.

Proper technique: Fast sloppy techniques are ineffective and will keep you from advancing. This is part of repetition training. Practicing your techniques over and over using smooth form and proper technique.

Visualization: See yourself as fast, may sound funny, but this works. I have visualized my backhand striking my opponents head and it does. It's amazing when it happens, because it just happens.

Explosive Conditioning: Slow progressive exercise is great for building strength, but explosive training like plyometrics, Olympic type weight lifting and sprinting are great for building explosive power and should be part of every martial artist speed training regimen.

Natural Reaction: The hardest to develop even thou you already possess it. Ever strike a match, have a piece fly off at your face and you jerk out of the way or have someone throw something at you unexpectedly and you deflect, dodge or catch it, no thought, just happens. One instructor I trained with was always throwing tennis balls, or would lash out with a kick or punch at his students unexpectedly. In the beginning you would just stand there and get hit in the head with the ball or take a quick kick or punch to the body, but the students would quickly learn to react. These were difficult people to sucker punch as they developed their natural reactions.

Every effective Martial artist follows an effective speed training program.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with the visualization point. I always considered myself a bit of a plodder, and this certainly held me back.

Also favouring plyometric style exercise over old school bodybuilding stuff is a big help.

I'm interested in the natural reaction stuff you mention, any tips?

Anonymous said...

Well your article helped me altogether much in my college assignment. Hats high to you send, wish look audacious in the direction of more interdependent articles promptly as its one of my pet question to read.

Keith said...

This is a great source of information, thanks so much for your time and effort on this. All fighters wanted to end the fight as fast as possible but of course that takes a lot of techniques and strategies to bring down an opponent in an instant. I think the secret behind that is practice, practice and practice nothing more.

Anonymous said...

I fool read a only one of the articles on your website trendy, and I really like your fashionableness of blogging. I added it to my favorites web period file and will be checking assist soon. Please repress out my site as approvingly and vindicate me be acquainted with what you think. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thank you fοr the auspіcious writeup. Ιt іn fасt was а
amusement accοunt it.
Lоok advanсed to morе added agreeable from you!

Bу thе way, hoω could we communiсatе?


Looκ аt my web-site - core training exercises

Followers