SHOTOKAN KARATE

"Is Karate Effective On The Street"

This is a question you see posted on many different forums. This was my response to one such posting, feel free to comment if you agree or disagree.


The question isn't valid. If I chop you across the front of the throat, yes it works, if you hit me in the head with a bat, no it doesn't. Question should be "Can karate be an effective form of Self Defense?"


Even asked in this manner is not completely correct. Lets try: "Are punches in the face, kicks in the groin, stomps on the knees, strikes to the throat, pokes in the eyes, hammer fists to the nose, knees and elbows to the head and joint breaking techniques really effective on the street? What do you think?


I'm trying to make a point. If a grappler walks into a dojo and says "Hey lets spar a little" I'm probably going to end up on the ground in a very uncomfortable position.

If someone confronts me on the "street" I'm not going to "spar" with him, I will stomp the knees, poke the eyes, strike the throat, kick the groin and maybe if i react swiftly, with power and speed and control the situation before my opponent can get started, maybe my "karate" will be effective.


If a boxer lands a solid hook on a grapplers chin and knocks him out, is grappling an ineffective art?


If a football player runs head on into a boxer an flattens him out, is football now the most effective art on the street?


Maybe the question should be "Are you effective on the street?"


I believe trained properly anyone can be effective and I also believe everyone can be beat.

Here you can learn powerful effective basic self defence techniques for yourself or to teach to your family.
Click Here!

4 comments:

Brandon said...

Wonderful insights! At the end of the long argument,it doesn't matter what training or what belt do you have but on how are you going to apply your knowledge on a situation like a mugger on the streets.

Anonymous said...

It is easy for some to fall into the street vs sport mentality in a bad way. For instance, people who say that they will defeat grappling with eye and groin shots and dirty tricks. Those moves are fine, but the grappler will likely have a superior position which helps neutralize these attacks and allows him to do them to you with greater force and efficacy. I'm glad more and more karateka understand this.

Anonymous said...

Admiring the persistence you put into your site and detailed information you offer. It's good to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same unwanted rehashed information. Great read! I've bookmarked your site and I'm including your RSS feeds to my Google account.

http://sketchcast.com/channel/jimmyblair717

Unknown said...

Let me strongly dissagree with this article.
Our karate is a sport at all. No differences if you practice Okinawan, Shotokan, knockdown or anything else.
Competition rules switched off techniques dangerous and usefull in self-defence. So we train for competitions not for self-defence.
The courts of law in many occasions decided about cross the line of self-defence and attack by karateka accross the world.
So what is reason? Self-defence let us keep alive and healthy. 2-3 moves and RUN - this is proper self defence. But karateka not run at any stupid reasons and start fighting.
Next mistake. "I am karateka and I am unbeaten" when he see knife. Next moment he is heavy injured or death. Why? Because if somebody keeping a knife in hands is ready to kill no to fight. What is base? ... run as quick as possible or give attacker what he whants. That is self-defence. But lot of karatekas can not understand this.
Last thinks. I am karateka too.

Followers